June 17, 1855 letter to Luke Keith from George Tomlinson

June 17, 1855

To: Luke Keith

From: George Tomlinson, Pavilion, NY

More farm business. He hopes to be able to come in the Fall and examine the land. The children are getting over the whooping cough.

Scan of 1855-06-17 George Tomlinson to Luke Keith

Pavilion           June 17, 1855

C. L. Keith, Esq.

Yours of June 14 came to hand last night. The wheat business seems to be a hard case this year. We are used up for a large crop of wheat here. The fly has destroyed a many a fair prospect. I think there are many fields that will not pay for seed and harvesting. Farmers are long favored just now. We have a large growth of straw yet I think we shall have no more than half a crop or there about.

I have had apprehensions about michigan wheat for some time as we have _____ heard stories from various sections of the state. Are farmers sowing as much as usual this year or are they holding back to see what will come of this insect business?

You write no particulars about the farm & Lasher is silent as the grave. Has Lasher sown any oats? Has he done any thing with the bottom land fence? Has he any chance to pasture for any one? Does he plow deep & good or not?

I have had so much to think of that I have somewhat lost the run of that farm business out there. I wish you would advise Lasher to be faithful to cut up the grubs on that 12 acre lot & draw off all the stone on the ground and all he plows up. They will all be needed to make a wall under the house & barn. I now think of under____ the barn with a wall if there are stones enough. Lasher must do as much as get his living from the land. I am sure it will be hard starting, but he must work an odd day or so with the team to get his grain &c.

I should be sorry to have that timber lot, will examine it & see if it is ______ to ______? If nothing happens I shall be there in the fall & stay a few days, long enough to get the thing fairly in my mind.

I have not answered Oscars last proposition to buy that _____ & believe I shall not till I go on to the ground and examine with reference to a line. I had rather buy of him than to sell. This he refuses. If there is no chance to let out the pasture I shall have to opt on some stock or sheep tho can do nothing till I go there.

We must arrange Lashers cow business when I am there. If you can turn any of your old accounts into chopping set the hands at that wood as I should be glad to have 18 or 20 cords cut any way if I could.

We are all well. The children[1] have or are getting over the hooping cough. The weather is cold – corn is small much of it to small to hoe. It is wet – we are having lots of rain these days. I have started the carding we have not much wool yet, but few have sheared. I expected Marian[2] would write a line but her little one[3] has been cross & I guess some sick so she has no time.

Mrs. Kendall has sold her place – the writing is not made but she expects they will be soon. Price $350. Our young ones are getting over the hooping cough – I think they will go it till the _______ come along. The calves do not do very well – the Decon looks discouraged over one of them.

June 25 – Rains again this morning. I must go to work.

Geo. Tomlinson


[1] Frank John and Nellie E. Tomlinson

[2] George’s wife, Marion (Sprague) Tomlinson

[3] Nellie was born February 18, 1855

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s