May 6, 1855 letter to Luke Keith from George Tomlinson

May 6, 1855

To: Luke Keith, Galesburg, MI

From: George Tomlinson, Pavilion, NY

Pavilion           6th May 1855

Mr. Lasher started for Michigan May 1st and expected to take the boat to Detroit, but ice has prevented that. George isn’t sure he will reach Michigan in time to get his crops planted so would appreciate any help Luke can give him.

1855-05-06 George Tomlinson to Luke Keith

C. L. Keith, Esq.

As I wrote you a week ago my man Lasher started for Mich May 1. I had a line from him from Dunkirk at which place he expected to take the boat but the ice prevented – he had started for Erie – this was on the morning of the 4th. If he can go from Erie he is now in Detroit. If he has to go to Cleveland I dont know when he will reach Mich. I would not had him start only we received accts published that Boats have made regular trips from Dunkirk for 2 weeks. I suppose the storm drove the ice back.

His delay will make him worse & worse off as to spring crops. What you can get done to help him along I want you should. I would be glad to have him helped. I want you should consult with him and advise as tho you owned the land. I shall write him soon. We are all well. Plowing for planting.

Monday morning. Aunt Patty[1] is astir. Cold – Evry thing is my favor.

G. Tomlinson


[1] George’s mother-in-law, and Luke’s sister, Martha “Patty” (Keith) Sprague

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s